About Me

My photo
In 2006, I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. This site attempts to document my struggles with the disease, but also the small (and delicious) victories I've had since following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (the SCD). I am by no means an expert, but hope that you find some tidbits that feed your soul, or at least your tummy. Enjoy. P.S. - In my more recent posts, you will find full SCD meals using various recipe sources compiled in each post, in the hopes that it will make following the SCD easier.

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Pizza Time!

Last night, I created a pizza which featured my leftover taco salad from the night before as toppings. As a helpless penny pincher, I love using leftovers like this. But I get ahead of myself. First, the crust. I borrowed the recipe from a great blog called: Heal, Balance, Live. The author, Karen, has a great post about a recipe for pizza crust which is delicious! For the first few years on the diet, I had been using the recipe from the Breaking the Vicious Cycle book, which was great, but Karen's recipe is even better. Then, I topped it with pizza sauce, Havarti cheese, and then my taco salad (black beans, Monterrey jack cheese, and homemade salsa). One note about the pizza sauce. A friend who works for a grocery chain, found this product. When he handed me the jar, he said: I dare you to find something illegal in there. I couldn't. It's called Bobby D's. I haven't had any symptoms from it, but make sure if you try it, you test it to see if it bothers you. Here is the recipe for the crust:


SCD Pizza Crust
2 c. almond flour
2 eggs
1/4 tsp. Italian Seasoning
1/8 tsp. garlic powder (optional)
pinch of salt
1/2 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
4 tsp. olive oil

Combine all ingredients together and let rest 5 minutes. Stir dough, it should be as thick as cookie dough, if it isn't add more almond flour a tablespoon at a time until it is. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (I tried to bake it without the parchment and ended up with a mess). Place half the dough in a mound on one half of the sheet and the rest of the dough in a mound on the other half. Cover with plastic wrap and using your hand or a small rolling pin push/roll the dough into a circle (mine were about 8 inches each). Bake in a 400 degree oven for 6-8 minutes or until barely brown. Add desired toppings and bake 5-10 more minutes until golden.

Note: I tried freezing some of these crusts and they turned out great. Just bake for the first 6 minutes then cool. Store in an airtight container. Remove and let thaw, then top and bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment